Wednesday 23 March 2011

Evaluation -Conventions.




1.In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?



I researched into magazine conventions by selecting magazines of my chosen genres - r&b, hip hop, grime etc. It was through analysing these that i was able to see a trend in the layouts etc.


Front Cover Conventions:


• One main image of a well known singer/rapper
• An ordered layout, with short and sharp cover lines
• Large masthead at the top of the page
• Consistent colour scheme
• Relevant cover lines
• Important information in the route of the eye
• Names of artists placed clearly




For my front cover, i tried to use as many as the conventions as possible, to create a more realistic looking magazine that would be appealing to my target audience. The title for my magazine is quite short, therefore doesn't fill the whole of the top of the page, like most magazines, but it is large and bold, therefore still eye-catching. Fitting with the typical conventions, i have kept the layout simple and plain. I chose cover lines that i believed would appeal to my target audience, with artists that they would recognise as they're associated with the genre. I also chose to use one main image, of an artist linked with the genres, this will help attract my target audience. I then put the artists name in relatively bold writing, again to confirm who it is to potential readers. The photograph was taken against a plain background, like many professional magazines, and the artist is wearing everyday clothes - again to draw the reader in. I chose to put a list of artists along the bottom, because it's where the route of the eye is, and the target audience will relate to the artists. I chose a blue colour scheme for my magazine, but the contrast of light and bright blues mean it's appealing not only to males, but to females too.  My magazine challenges conventions by having more than one image on the page, but i think this works well because the other images are small enough to not draw attention away from the main image, but still big enough to be noticed and used to attract readers.




Conventions of a contents page:
• Simple background
• Neatly organised structure
• Colour scheme flowing on from the cover
• A selection of images
• Sub headings for easy reading


For the contents page, i again tried to use all the conventions of a typical grime/hip hop/r&b magazine. The colour scheme is the part that stands out most, mainly due to the large blue strip at the side, the colours flow from the blues used on the front cover. I then put the link to the magazines twitter in a different shade blue bubble, to make it stand out. Contents is written in large across the top, like on the front cover. I have used a neat and simple layout - where the contents are separated into columns, with sub headings of 'regulars' 'reviews' and 'features' is used. I have done this because it makes it easier for people to read, and is more likely to attract the target audience. I used an image of the main artist on the contents page to appeal to the target audience. My contents page challenges conventions because i have chosen to include a letter from the editor- you don't normally find them styled like this in music magazines, and are much more likely to find them in fashion magazines, this will help to attract the female audience for my magazine. 




Conventions for a double page spread


• Simple background
• One main image, then a selection of smaller images
• Questions in a different colour font to the answer
• Introduction to the artist before the interview
• Flowing colour scheme
• Artists name in large writing



Again for my double page spread i used all the conventions of a typical magazine to attract the target audience. I wrote the artists name in large writing across the top, because it is an name that the audience will recognise. The writing again is in blue, flowing on from the front cover and contents page. I have used one main image, against a plain background, with the artist dressed in every day casual clothing, this will mean that the reader is able to relate to the artist more. For the right hand side of the magazine, i have done an introduction, i used informal language to appeal to the audience. The interview is relatively in-depth but I have chosen to use a casual tone, which is something you expect from a magazine interview, both the interviewer and artist are chatty and friendly, and i have used slang, this is something that my target audience will understand and relate too.The questions have been written in a different colour to the answers - which is something you typically see in a magazine interview. I also used a smaller image of the artist in the bottom right hand corner, this again is something you will see in a typical music magazine. My double page spread considerably follows the conventions, and doesn't really stray, except i have included a fact file about the artist - this is something you would normally find in a magazine aimed at younger audiences, but i think it works well in the magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment