Monday 28 March 2011

evaluation - progression from preliminary task

7.Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

The preliminary task was to create a magazine for a school, although the concept was completely different, it was helpful when producing my final magazine. Looking back at my preliminary task, I believe my magazine making skills have improved. Both magazines have different conventions, and i feel i displayed these in both magazines, although i feel i was able to understand the conventions of the music magazine more easily and apply them to my work. I learnt from my preliminary task, that planning was extremely important in the making process, therefore i feel i put more work into the research and planning for my main task, which then allowed me to understand the conventions better, and enabled me to have more professional and higher quality photographs for my magazine, which were also more appealing to my target audience. Although i still feel that some of the layout of my magazine is too plain, especially the double page spread, i feel that i have learnt a lot about how to construct a professional looking magazine, for example i have included more relevant cover lines on my final task, and arranged them in a neater layout, and my contents page in comparison to the preliminary task looks a lot more professional due to the layout and flowing colour scheme, which will make it more appealing to the target audience. Overall, i feel i have learnt a lot about producing a magazine from my preliminary task, in terms of picture taking, colour/font schemes and layout, it has taught me to take into consideration the wants of my target audience to make it more appealing to them, and make them want to buy my magazine. I have included pictures of my preliminary task and my final magazine so you are able to see the difference. 












Seeing the two side by side, you are able to see the improvements made, and how overall my final product is an improvement on my preliminary task,  the colour scheme for my final magazine flows considerably better than in the preliminary task, with the blues being used on the contents page as well as the cover. The cover lines are positioned more carefully, and in more appropriate places. In the main task, i was able to use the route of the eye and principle of thirds more effectively, creating a better product overall. The photograpgs used in my preliminary task are not very effective, and the edges are rough, whereas in the main task, the picture was taken against an appropriate background. The contents page on my main task has a more effective layout,following conventions of a typical music magazine. The contents are divided into columns, with subheadings, and there is a letter from the editor. The contents page for my preliminary task is simple, against a plain background, and the subheadings don't work particually well. I also believe there is a better use of imagery in the final task, that contrast the background, stand out and are more appealing to the target audience.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment